Things To Make and Do

April 01, 2003

And the week starts again...

...so I found out that my till was $70 short on Friday and that the money was nowhere to be found...not a small sum to lose and naturally, something for lowly bodies like me to fret for our jobs about.

My manager is a lady called Patty; she's slightly strange, hails from Buffalo and had an anal retentive first husband who was an accountant with no idea about how to balance a household budget, a divorce and a second husband who's Italian-American and a pilot of some kind .

That said, she's pretty good to work for.

She also was caking it at having to call Joe, her manager and my District Manager.

Joe is the progeny of Irish-Italian-American stock, raised in Australia and was once responsible for managing a large chain of hotels. Not a guy to trifle with, even though he's called me up twice at work and pretended to be the INS threatening to deport me. This, though, is getting tired.

Anyway, when Patty calls Joe to find out what to do he tells her not to worry and to tell me not to worry.

This gets me worried.

But anyhow, that's what happened yesterday.

================================================================

Did you know that Paul Simon actually wrote Bridge Over Troubled Waters...?

I know, it's strange. It's one of those songs you think has been around forever and that nobody actually *wrote* it, kind of like the Happy Birthday song...

But he did, and it's less than 35 years old.

Can you believe that for many of us our (great) grandparents lived and died without ever knowing any of the words. It's fairly odd whern you think about it. Although 400 years or so ago people had never heard the soliloquies jotted down on a wet Wednesday afternoon by Bill Shakespeare; and that as few as twenty years ago the words "I'll be back" were never muttered with a faux-Austrian accent.

These things, that we take for granted every day, someone was responsible for them; and I, for one, have never mailed a royalty cheque/check out for using them.

================================================================
Those of you who watch it will be almost glad to know that BBC's Coupling has been given a pilot episode on NBC which I hope is broadcast soon...

...check IMDB for the details of the casting...

================================================================

And one final thing...

...Ben...

...if she's worth thinking about day and night, she's worth taking the risk on being shot down for...